Starting May 18th, Disney's Hollywood Studios will celebrate the Star Wars Universe on the weekends with special shows, merchandise, characters, celebrities, a parade, and more!
So if you are planning to take part in the Star Wars festivities this year, we have devised a list of things that Star Wars fans should do before passing through the turnstiles in a few weeks to visit that galaxy far far away!
1. Study up on Star Wars Weekends
-Read what other sites and blogs have to say about Star Wars Weekends to learn more about the events and activities, what you must see and what to skip, and even pick up some tips! For starters, check out a Star Wars Weekends schedule
2. Have a Star Wars Marathon
-Watch all six Star Wars movies in order before your trip to refresh your memory and to get in a Star Wars mood!
3. Get an Autograph Book
-While Disney World does sell autograph books, you may want to get a Star Wars themed autograph book before you visit to capture and preserve autographs from Star Wars celebrities, Star Wars characters, and even from Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters! For a fun family activity, purchase a blank book and some Star Wars stickers and have your kids make their own; or you can make your own online!
4. Check out the Clone Wars
-The Clone Wars is an animated television series which takes place between The Attack of the Clones and the Revenge of the Sith. Despite the fact that it's technically a cartoon, it is very popular! If you visit Star Wars Weekends, there is sure to be Clone Wars characters and celebrities present so you may want to check this out beforehand!
5. Brush Up on Your Star Wars Lingo
-There is sure to be more Star Wars terminology flying through the air during Star Wars Weekends than X-Wing fighters around a Death Star. So unless you want to look like a padawan, study up on Star Wars terms and phrases and talk Star Wars like a Jedi Master!
6. Consider a Costume
-Some guests come to Star Wars Weekends dressed up like Star Wars characters! You are sure to see many Princess Leias, Darth Vaders, Stormtroopers, and Jedis in line for popcorn or browsing the gift shop, so you may want to consider getting a costume for yourself!
7. Start a Souvenir Fund
-There is a variety of Star Wars merchandise for sale during these weekends, including special items especially for this special event and Star Wars collectibles! If you think you could do some serious shopping at Star Wars Weekends, you may want to start a souvenir fund in advance!
8. Decide What to Pack
-While packing is an important part of any vacation, you may to add a few things to your list if you are visiting Star Wars Weekends, such as your favorite Star Wars t-shirt, a poster or book to be autographed, your own light saber, etc.
9. Have a Star Wars Meal
-To get in a Star Wars mood, have a Star Wars Dinner by cooking up Wookie Cookies and Tusken Raider Taters from this Star Wars Cookbook
Wilderness Lodge is one of our all-time favorite deluxe resorts and we have been fortunate to stay here ourselves a few times over the years. We are big fans of the resort's majestic, National Park theme that lets guests experience the outdoors in the lap of luxury, along with a dose of Disney magic! It's definitely "roughing it" in style!
So in celebration Wilderness Lodge, we are going to talk a walk around this resort to give you a look inside and to see if it's a good choice for you!
Here is the entrance into the Wilderness Lodge resort!
As soon as you drive up, you immediately get a feel for the Lodge and what it's all about. However, the best view of the resort can been seen from the back by the pool area! Here you can see Wilderness Lodge in all its glory!
Here is an aerial view of Wilderness Lodge's breathtaking lobby. Once you arrive, be sure to keep an eye on where you're going as you may forget to look down!
Also be sure to notice the giant teepee chandeliers with the silhouettes of Indians hunting buffalo.
Here is another view of the lobby and the high ceilings.
This is the entrance to Wilderness Lodge's gift shop where you can find standard souvenirs, snacks and sundries, and even some exclusive Wilderness Lodge merchandise! The totem pole is a crowd pleaser and great spot for a photo op too!
Take a look at the light fixtures in the hallway!
One of Wilderness Lodge's restaurant is the rowdy Whispering Canyon Cafe serving up hearty, homestyle meals with a western flair with some hilarious service and antics!
Here's a glimpse inside Artist Point, Wilderness Lodge's signature restaurant!
Here's a quick peek inside one of Wilderness Lodge's guest rooms. The carved wood bedsteads carry on the log architecture of Wilderness Lodge, and we think the carved headboards are beautiful!
Check out other Destination Disney posts over at Heidi's Head!
This week's topic is our Top 5 favorite snacks at Disney! Are any of these your favorites too?
5. Soarin' Creme Brulee-At Sunshine Seasons, located inside The Land pavilion, stop by the dessert station and enjoy a sweet, creamy Creme Brulee themed after the popular attraction next to this counter service spot! Not only is this dessert delicious, but you feel like you're getting a great deal for this luxurious treat as you don't have to visit a fancy restaurant to get it!
4. Mickey Premium Bar-Who can resist this famous ice cream treat? Ice cream covered in a chocolate, Mickey shaped shell is a classic Disney sweet snack and especially refreshing on a hot Orlando afternoon!
3. Chocolate Croissant-My Disney Bro's favorite snack, a chocolate crossaint is a flaky, chocolate filled pastry which is great for a quick breakfast or just to satisfy your sweet tooth during your day at the parks! You can find it at a variety of locations throughout WDW and even at some resorts.
2. Columbia Harbor House Clam Chowder-While this snack isn't sweet, it is filling and delicious! Columbia Harbor House is one of our favorite counter service spots and they serve cups of Clam Chowder that would rival that of any table service restaurant. The flavor and generous pieces of clam make this one of our favorite snacks!
1. Dole Whip Float-One of the most popular Disney snacks ever, a Dole Whip is pineapple flavored soft-serve which really does taste like fresh cut pineapple! While how you prefer your Dole Whip is a source of debate, my preference is a Dole Whip float, the soft serve in fresh pineapple juice! Yum!
Come check out other Wordless Wednesday posts or link up your own!
My May Calendar Photo!
We are sure that you have been reading about Disney World's upcoming special even, Star Wars Weekends, online as it is due to start just next month. But have you ever asked yourself, what is Star Wars Weekends? What really goes on during this special event? If so, we are here to help!
This year, beginning on May 18th and ending on June 10th, Disney's Hollywood Studios will transformed into a haven for Star Wars fans every weekend! In addition the usual park shows and attractions, Star Wars fans can enjoy meet and greets with Star Wars celebrities, get pictures with Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters, purchase exclusive Star Wars merchandise, check out special talk shows and presentations, and enjoy a special Star Wars parade!
In addition, guests can enjoy the extras, such as the Stormtroopers patrolling the roof tops when you enter the park, the Star Wars music soundtrack, and even other guests dressed as their favorite Star Wars characters!
For a schedule of events and more info, check out this post
from the Disney Parks Blog.
Also, for a complete Star Wars experience, you have to hop aboard the newly updated Star Tours attraction; and if you have little Star Wars fans, try to get them into the Jedi Training Academy to learn how to wield a lightsaber and maybe even engage in a duel with Darth Vader?
In the evening, every Star Wars fan must see Hyperspace Hoopla! This is one of the best, and funniest, shows you will see at Walt Disney World filled with Star Wars references and spoofs! Even if you're not an avid fan, you will still enjoy this finale to your visit to Star Wars Weekends! It's definitely a must-see!
Last year, you could find a tent set up behind Tower of Terror filled wit Star Wars Weekends merchandise and Star Wars backdrops where characters could be found for photo-ops!
Here is a sample of some of the Star Wars Weekends merchandise!
So Star Wars is an awesome special event for Star Wars fans, but with a good dosage of Disney magic!
But while Star Wars Weekends is sure to be a fun experience for Star Wars fans; fans should be aware that the park is also incredibly crowded during this event making it difficult to see and do much if you don't have much time or a strategy. Also, for Disney World guests who aren't Star Wars fans, we suggest visiting Hollywood Studios during the week if possible, instead of the weekends, or saving the major attractions for during the week.
1. Revisit the Magic Kingdom to ride your favorites one last time and end your vacation with a grand finale, a magical viewing of Wishes!
2. Need to do some laundry before you head home? Relax by the pool after putting some clothes in to wash at the laundromat as the kids splash in the pool!
3. Spend the evening at your resort with a quiet dinner and a carriage ride around your resort!
4. Do some last minute souvenir shopping at Downtown Disney; and have your kids pick out a few gifts for their friends.
5. Kick off your last day with a character breakfast at the Crystal Palace, 'Ohana, Tusker House, or Akershus.
6. Resort Hop!
7. Bring your camera and take some family pictures at the park or resort, maybe even plan ahead to use one for a Christmas card!
8. Watch a movie under the stars at your resort or at another nearby resort!
9. Need to do a little packing? Have an early morning? Order pizza and eat in resort room as you prepare to head home!
10. Don't have tickets for your last day? Spend the day resort hopping and then enjoy a leisurely evening at Downtown Disney!
11. Visit Animal Kingdom Lodge and enjoy the shopping, dining, and the live animals!
12. Have your portrait made by an artist!
13. Rent a boat at one of the resort's marinas and go for a cruise.
14. Book a massage at one of the resort's spas or massage and fitness centers.
15. Visit Fort Wilderness to
We always enjoy finding unique and stylish Disney products and souvenirs; and this week, we discovered some new and clever Disney hats at DisneyStore.com
that you should see!
We think this Kidada designed hat with the Mickey gloves forming a heart and the gold bow accent is adorable and stylish! You can currently purchase this hat online for $34.50. Click here
to purchase it for yourself!
Are you a fan of the Turkey Legs at Disney? Show your appetite for these yummy snacks with this new hat
! You can purchase it either online or at the parks for $21.95.
If you have ever ridden the Disney Monorail, chance are you have heard these famous words! Now you can show off your favorite mode of Disney transportation with this new, and humorous, hat
which you can get at the parks or online for $21.95.
Check out other Destination Disney posts over at Heidi's Head!
This week's topic is our Top 6 favorite restaurants at Disney! Are any of these your favorites too?
6. Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater-This is my teenage Disney Bro's favorite restaurant and one of ours too. This restaurant has the ultimate theme and offers an amazing dining experience in that you really feel as if you are outdoors at an old fashioned drive-in dining in a classic car! The burgers are shakes here are also delicious!
5. Whispering Canyon Cafe-Located in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge, we like this restaurant for its hearty, homecooked style food and the entertainment! The waiters and waitresses are hilarious and will give you a dining experience you won't soon forget!
4. Liberty Tree Tavern-This restaurant is one of my favorites because it takes you back in time to America's early days, and for the traditional Thanksgiving menu served family style! It's a great place to enjoy a filling meal in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere after a long, exhausting day trekking through the Magic Kingdom.
3. Crystal Palace-It's a family tradition for us to drop by for a visit with Winnie the Pooh and the gang for breakfast during our Disney vacation. We are big fans of this gorgeous glass building, especially with sunlight streaming through in the morning. Plus, along with the yummy breakfast fare, and Winnie the Pooh and friends, never disappoint!
2. Les Chefs de France-Another family favorite, this Epcot restaurant offers a great menu! If you like cheese, you will probably like Les Chefs de France! If you get a chance to dine near a window or in the atrium, you're in for a treat as the view during day or at night only adds to experience. Also, during certain times of day, an audio-animatronic of Remy from Pixar's Ratatouille drops by!
1. Le Cellier-It's no secret that we are huge fans of Le Cellier. Ever since our first visit, we have been ruined when it comes to steak due to their famous Filet Mignon with Mushroom Risotto. The Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup and Pretzel Bread is incredible too; and grabbing a lunch reservation at this restaurant is always at the top of our must-do list!