We always recommend a character meal for families with young kids, or for those who are on the Dining Plan. They are a great way to create memorable experiences, and they let you and the kids meet several characters at one time while you eat. This way, you get to cut down a lot of time in line waiting to meet characters as you get to meet several and enjoy a good meal in air conditioning all at the same time!
Although, we should mention that there are some cons to character meals too. For example, many character restaurants are buffets; and in our experience, the quality of food at some of Disney's buffets can be disappointing at times.
Character meals are also very expensive; and if your kids are afraid of characters, or you have older children who aren't that interested, it may be harder to swallow the restaurant's hefty price tag. This is why we recommend booking meals with the Disney Dining Plan so you save some money and the bill is painless.
Also, be aware that character restaurants are almost always very busy, crowded, and a little noisy. Most guests don't mind, since Disney World caters to families, but others may be bothered by the bustling atmosphere.
So now that you know about character meals, you need to know that Walt Disney World offers a lot of them at both their parks and resorts. So which one do you choose? Which one is the best? Who has the best value?
To help answer those questions, we have compiled a list of our picks for the Top 5 best character meals that offer the most bang for your buck. Take a look!
5. Tusker House-This Animal Kingdom restaurant can be found in Africa and features a buffet with both African and American food. Tusker House used to be famous for Donald's Safari Breakfast; but because it is so popular, it now offers characters at lunch too! The characters include the Fab Five, which is Mickey and the gang, but dressed up in safari costumes! We found the food here to be pretty good, especially the POG juice served here at breakfast.
4. Chef MIckey's-Located in the lobby of the Contemporary, Chef Mickey's is one of the most popular restaurants on property. Here the Fab Five meet and greet with guests as they enjoy a large buffet at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food here has always been very tasty in our experience; and the festive atmosphere and the characters are usually great! This restaurant is also ideal for any age; and both boys and girls will both enjoy it.
3. Cindrella's Royal Table-The most popular restaurant on property is Cinderella's Royal Table; and it's infamous for being very difficult to get into. Cinderella's Royal Table definitely has the best location of them all as it is located inside Cinderella Castle! Here you will dine in a medieval style dining room with a view over Fantasyland as several Disney princesses stop by to visit. It is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's very expensive; and whilewe wish we could say different, the food here isn't the greatest; but due to the location and overall experience, this character meal ranks as one of the best! It's a great place to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or to even get engaged! Disney even offers packages for those at this restaurant who are propsing. Therefore, we guarantee that you won't soon forget a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table, especially if have your own little princess!
2. Crystal Palace-Also located at the Magic Kingdom, the Crystal Palace can be found at the end of Main Street USA offering a picturesque view of Cinderella Castle! Walking inside the restaurant is an experience in itself as it is mostly glass and full of light with Victorian touches. The Crystal Palace is also open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and features characters from Winnie the Pooh. We have personally ate here for breakfast and dinner; and while we have always enjoyed the vast variety of breakfast fare, we were not as impressed with the quality of the choices at dinner. However, the characters are always great and even adults really enjoy this experience!
1. Akershus-We are giving this restaurant our top slot because we believe it offers the most for your money. Akershus Storybook Dining is located at the Norway pavilion of Epcot; and here, guests dine inside of a castle setting while Disney princesses drop by to visit. Unlike other character restaurants, Akershus has a menu to order of off which features dishes with a Norwegian flare. There is also a small fruit, cheese, and meat bar where guests can help themselves. We have ate her for lunch on two separate occassions and have yet to be disappointed in the food, atmoshere, or character experiences. Akershus is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and it usually is much easier to get into than Cinderella's Royal Table and it a little more affordable!
So those are our Top 5 Character Restaurants which we think offer the most for your money. Now we want to hear from you! Share your experiences and opinions with us!